The DSCP also provides a basic awareness into child abuse and neglect through a safer recruitment eLearning course.
The basic awareness into child abuse and neglect course can be accessed via two different learning pathways:
- The core introduction module is aimed at individuals who are working directly with children, young people and their families. These practitioners will have some professional or organisational responsibility in relation to safeguarding children.
- The foundation module is most appropriate for individuals in a paid or voluntary capacity who may have contact with children and young people but do not work directly with them.
Both courses cover similar material but the core introduction is more in depth as appropriate for the increased level of contact that staff will have with children and their families.
Course outcomes are as follows:
- Understand the different types of abuse and neglect.
- Know the signs and indicators of abuse.
- Know how to ask questions if you suspect a child is being abused.
- Know what steps to take if you suspect a child is being abused.
- Know what happens when a referral to social care is made.
- Know what to do if a child discloses abuse.
- Know the importance of keeping records.
- Understand the importance of multi-agency working.
Local safeguarding boards have a responsibility to ensure that agencies named under Section 11 of the Children Act 2004 have safer recruitment practices in place. This module will assist those involved in recruitment in ensuring they meet these requirements.
The module considers statistics relating to safer recruitment, statistics are important as they simplify the size of the problem. It also considers the background to the introduction of the more robust safer recruitment processes, which followed the Bichard Inquiry, which looked at the recruitment of Ian Huntley in the Soham case.
How to apply
Please note there is a one month time limit on each course, if a course is not completed within the time scale you will be charged £25.00.
In order to apply for login details, please provide your name, organisation, valid e-mail address (work is preferable) managers e-mail address and the course title to email@example.com.
Logins will be processed within a week of the initial request.